A Course in General English to Adult Learners
Improve your communication skills in everyday situations, understand the English language when listening to it and feel free to participate in conversations in English.
- Рекомендованная интенсивность
- 2-3 times a week
- Длительность занятия
- from 50 min.
- Продолжительность курса
- from 80 lessons
The student feels confident in the English-speaking environment, at work and on holiday.
In the course students read texts taken from modern magazines and newspapers, Internet sites, study texts on topics of interest.
The course expands vocabulary and knowledge of English grammar.
New words and grammar rules are worked out and further used in the lessons in a variety of communicative situations, which allows for language consolidation and spoken fluency.
Уровень A1 (beginner)
- Can talk about the place of residence and people they know using simple phrases and sentences.
- Can ask and answer simple questions within the framework of the most common everyday topics.
- Can understand individual familiar words and very simple phrases in slow and clear speech in everyday situations.
- Can understand familiar names, words, and very simple sentences in announcements, posters, or catalogues.
- Can fill in simple forms and other simple official documents.
- Vocabulary range of up to 600 words related to topics studied in the textbook.
Уровень A2 (elementary)
- Can tell about their family and other people, living conditions, study, present or previous work, using simple phrases and sentences.
- Can take part in a dialogue if the interlocutors, at the request of the student, slowly repeat their statement or rephrase it, and also help formulate what the student is trying to say.
- Can understand certain phrases and the most common words in statements concerning important topics for students: about themselves and their families, about purchases, about the place of living, about work.
- Can understand what is being said in simple, clearly pronounced and short messages and announcements.
- Can understand very short simple texts. Can find specific, easily predictable information in simple texts of everyday communication: in advertisements, leaflets, menus, timetables. Can understand simple personal letters.
- Can write simple letters and cards (for example, congratulations on a holiday).
- Vocabulary range of up to 600-1500 words related to the topics studied in the textbook.
Уровень B1 (pre-intermediate)
- Can communicate in simple typical situations requiring direct exchange of information within familiar topics and activities.
- Can maintain an extremely brief conversation on everyday topics.
- Can understand the detailed meaning of statements regarding topics important to students: about themselves and their families, about purchases, about the place where they live, about work.
- Can understand the general meaning of simple, clearly pronounced short messages and announcements in monologues and dialogues.
- Can understand short simple texts. Can find specific information in small abridged texts: newspaper and magazine articles, online publications.
- Can write simple short notes and messages, simple personal letters.
- Vocabulary range of up to 1500-2000 words related to the topics studied in the textbook, as well as vocabulary that students encounter in texts and situations outside the educational process.
Уровень B1 + (intermediate)
- Can build simple, coherent statements about the students’ personal impressions, events, tell about their dreams, hopes and desires, briefly justify and explain their views and intentions, tell a story or outline the plot of a book or film and express their attitude to it.
- Can understand the main points of clearly and relatively slowly pronounced utterances within the limits of the literary norm on well-known topics that students have to deal with at work, in the family, on vacation, etc.
- Can understand texts based on the frequent linguistic material of everyday and professional communication. Can understand feelings and intentions in personal letters.
- Can write simple coherent texts on familiar or interesting topics. Can write personal letters, which report personal experiences and impressions.
- Vocabulary range of up to 2000-2500 words related to the topics studied in the textbook, as well as vocabulary that students meet in texts and situations outside the educational process.
Уровень B2 (upper-intermediate)
- Can speak about a wide range of issues of interest clearly and thoroughly, explain their point of view on an urgent problem, expressing all the arguments for and against. Can participate in dialogues with English-speaking interlocutors, including native speakers, without preparation. Can conduct discussions on a familiar issue.
- Can understand detailed reports and lectures on familiar topics, including those where there is a complex argument. Can understand almost all the news and reports about current events, as well as the contents of most films, if their characters speak a literary language.
- Have skills of a general and complete Can read texts for gist and detail, including articles and messages on contemporary issues, the authors of which take a special position or express a special point of view.
- Can understand contemporary fiction.
- Can write comprehensible detailed messages on a wide range of topics of interest, as well as essays or reports, highlighting questions or arguing the point of view “for” or “against”. Can highlight events and impressions in letters that are especially important for students.
- Vocabulary range of up to 3000-4000 words related to the topics studied in the textbook, as well as vocabulary that students meet in texts and situations outside the learning process.
Уровень C1 (Advanced)
- Can present complex topics clearly and thoroughly, synthesize the components, develop arguments and draw appropriate conclusions. Can express their thoughts in situations of professional and everyday communication spontaneously and fluently, without experiencing difficulties in the selection of words. Can accurately formulate their thoughts and express opinions, as well as actively support any conversation.
- Can understanding long messages, even if they have a cluttered logical structure and insufficiently expressed semantic connections, can deduce the meaning of the text using guesswork. Can understand messages with the background noise, as well as understand fluent conversational speech.
- Can understand large complex non-fiction and literary texts, their stylistic features, as well as special articles and technical instructions of a large volume, even if they do not relate to the field of activity of the student. Can summarize the information obtained from several texts.
- Able to clearly and logically express their thoughts in writing and present their views in detail.
- Can describe complex problems in letters, essays, reports, highlighting what seems to be the most important. Can use a register appropriate to the target reader, can make notes while listening to texts.
- Vocabulary range of about 5,000 words related to the topics studied in the textbook, as well as vocabulary that students encounter in texts and situations.
Уровень C2 (Proficiency)
- Can speak fluently and argumentatively using appropriate language tools, depending on the situation. Can logically build their message to attract the attention of listeners and help them mark and remember the most important points.
- Can participate in any conversation or discussion, can use a variety of idiomatic and colloquial expressions, can express any shades of meaning.
- Can understand any colloquial speech in direct or indirect communication and the fluent speech of a native speaker.
- Can understand all types of texts, including texts on abstract topics, complex in compositional or linguistic terms: instructions, special articles and fiction.
- Can express their thoughts in writing logically and consistently, using the necessary language tools.
- Can write complex letters, reports or articles with a clear logical structure that helps the target reader to note and remember the most important points.
- Can write resumes and reviews on both professional and artwork.
- Vocabulary range of more than 7000 words related to the topics studied in the textbook, as well as vocabulary that students meet in texts and situations outside the educational process.